Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Milestones

We've hit a few milestones with the kids this week and thought I would share because at the end of the day I am not ashamed to be a proud mama! These are definitely not any milestones that would be listed in books, medical journals or baby books, but still are important as they illustrate a child's personality, willingness to learn and sense of humor (which you all know is the most important to me)!



Yesterday Jason asked for "tie shoes. Until now all of his shoes have been secured with velcro because quite frankly I am a lazy mom and need EVERY minute I can get in the mornings. I took him yesterday to get some running tie shoes, and he immediately took them out of the box when we got home and started to learn to tie his own shoes. He got frustrated quickly and declared he would "never learn how to tie his own shoes" then went to bed. This morning he got up, got himself dressed and took it upon himself to figure out this bow thing once and for all... and he tied his own shoes. He was so proud, and we snapped this great pic of him before he left for school.





This morning Sammy asked me to "braid her hair so she can be friends with Rebecca." Just last week she would scream as if in horrendous pain when I would even touch her hair and now she wants me to style it in the mornings - I love it! She was also proud of her braid and was willing to pose for the camera.

Other funny things/milestones:
Potty
  • Sammy is going poo in the potty and is completely out of pull ups! Never mind the fact that she asks for two thousand dollars every time she poos. That's some expensive SH!t
  • Jason has made it one week without wearing a pull-up at night!!! I truly cannot wait for the day when I do not have to buy any pull ups!
Getting along
  • We have seen a huge change in Sammy and Jason's interactions with each other in the past few weeks. When no one is looking Jason really takes Sammy under his wing and plays so well with her. She adores these times (and so do we)
  • Other times, they fight like two rabid cats. Screeching, name calling and Sammy hits. Jason doesn't hit Sammy, which is a great thing and I think it shows what a fantastic and protective older brother he will be when they are older.

Height and Weight

  • Jason has shot up another inch, which is insane to realize he is 75% of my height now
  • Sammy gained a pound - we think. She eats like its her last meal at all times but somehow doesn't gain anything. That's due to a phenomenon that we chemical engineers call a "mass balance."
No more baby furniture in the house
  • Travis and I officially met a milestone when we gave away the last remaining baby item,s (besides clothes) to my brother Brian and his wife Sarah. I am not going to lie that a few tears were shed realizing we will never have little infants sleep in that crib again - or will not be spending any more nights sleeping in the recliner.
  • On the flip side, we wont be changing poopy diapers, or filling bottles, or making formula, or cleaning binkies, or sterilizing nipples (not mine, I mean for the bottle) or sleeping an avg of 4 hrs per night!

2 comments:

Frances Vineyard said...

:) Cute post! Jason really does look a lot taller! Wow!

margie kristiansen said...

As Usual I,m laughing!! Love all the milestones- yes I remember writing all those things down too!!! Yes I did the same with the tie shoes- I waited a long time before I taught Jens! I even had remarks from my friends- wondering when I was going to teach him!!!
Hilsen Norway