Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful

This is the time of year we all feel very thankful for the big and little things in our lives. Of course I could provide a list of thousands of items, but after much thought, deliberation and a few drinks, I have narrowed down my "thankful list" to the following 4 items.


1. FAMILY - they know me and STILL love me. They make me laugh and cry. My family and our closeness provides hope for the future of my children that a strong family unit IS possible and thriving in this modern time.




2. FRIENDS - I definitely have the best friends. I can honestly say my girlfriends are always there for me no matter what. My girlfriends are also some of the craziest people I know which makes our times together exciting and fun. If nothing else my friends provide a standard or control (in the experimental sense) for being crazy. If ever I think I might be losing my mind, I generally call one of my girlfriends and realize, I am not so crazy afterall!













Tracy trying to pop my head off with her biceps














Notice Diana trying to take me out on this water slide

3. RUNNING and TRIATHLONS - I know this seems silly but this year I competed (and did well) in 2 half marathons, 3 triathlons (one olympic distance) and too many running races to count (both with and without the stroller). Running as part of NCRC is something my whole family can do together, promoting a healthy lifestyle for our kids. My tri's are mine and give me a sense of accomplishment and pride. More importantly I am healthier than I have ever been and that is a wonderful feeling.














4. ALCOHOL and PHARMACEUTICS - yea I know I joke about this but I am truly thankful for the advances of modern medicine and the ability of brewmasters to discover a method of brewing lower calorie and lower carb beer. My friend recently introduced me to MGD 64 and I think I am in love. With only 64 calories, I can have twice as many!




This is Aunt Margie still loving me after we had a "few" of the above mentioned items
So this thursday, as I am at home with my family (after running the 8K turkey trot at 8am!), cooking dinner, drinking wine with my mother in law, and talking on the phone with my girlfriends I will feel peaceful and happy as I stop and purposefully take a moment to be thankful for all I have. And then a child will pummell me in the crotch with his/her head....

No comments: